Cochin Village Half Day Backwater Tour
Come away with us to explore a life charmed. You’ll never truly experience a place, unless you plunge head long into its everyday life.
- Poothotta, Kochi
₹ 6,500.00 for 2 Person (Minimum)
Extra Person ₹ 1000.00
The maximum capacity of each activity tour is 6 persons.
Why Love This
- Private tour is operated with just your party and a guide/driver
- 3 Hours boat cruise along Kochi’s backwaters
- Enjoy the Backwaters and Village beauty of Poothotta / Vaikom
- View of Local Villager daily Life
- Wide range of time slots, from 8:30 am to 5:00 pm, to suit your convenience
- Pick Up and Drop from Kochi / Fort Kochi / Cochin Port (Ships Berth)
- Flexibility to customize your itinerary to your own preferences
About Half Day Kochi Village Backwater Tour
Skip the Group! Book a Private Tour! Flexible Itinerary, comfortable transportation, entertaining and enriching travel experience, and travelling sustainable. Essentially it is a tour who want to experience Kochi Backwater Village Life.
A chauffeur driven car will pick you up from your hotel in Kochi / Fort Kochi or from Kochi Port / Shore and take you to Poothotta / Vaikom. During this tour you get to cruise covering rivers and narrows Canals. Enjoy the rustic Kerala nature. See the village activities like Fishing, Toddy Tapping and coir making and know more about the lifestyle of villagers. Post the sightseeing you are dropped back to the hotel.
A half day tour that will give you the chance to visit one of the most beautiful backwaters in India. This tour allows you to see rural Kerala and the famous backwaters of three districts, Kochi (Ernakulam), Alappuzha & Kottayam. In this wonderful land lush green paddy fields, coconut plantation, tapioca, banana and mango are cultivated four to six feet below the sea level. Life here cannot be though without a canoe or boats. It is the land of fishermen and women. It distinguishes itself with prawns, mussels, pearl spot fish and other fishes.
The profusion of coconut palms all along the backwaters make coir based small scale industries the most lucrative and sensible livelihood proposition for locals. A visit to the coir workshop will leave you awestruck as the consummate skill and craftsmanship of artisans defy the efficiency of even the most sophisticated machines.
Experience toddy being tapped from a tree in front of you. Go on a traditional beverage experience, where you get to taste toddy, also called Madhura Kallu.
Minimum age for consumption of toddy is 21 YearsClam Meat Processing
Clams are shellfish found in the brackish waters. Many of the inhabitants of Kallanchery Island find clam meat processing for their livelihood. Usually the entire Family members are taking part in this job. Men collect the clam fish from back water. Ladies steam the clamshell to seperate the meat from the shell. Both men and women go to the market to sell the meat. Shells are used for making white cement, Cement based paints and fertilizers.
Groping of Fish
This is a skilful method of fishing done by ladies using fingers. Here, a group of ladies move in a line and grope fishes from the backwaters.
Tending To Ducks
The crystal clear waters are decked by resident as well as migratory water birds particularly ducks. Tending to ducks is a favourite pastime particularly on the lakes replete with romanticism. The water ways and canals filled with water lilies are abundantly habituated by ducks.
Casting of Nets
This is a traditional method of fishing. Here, the conical shaped nets fitted with lead weight at the bottom are spread into the water with one yarn in the hand. The weight fitted at the bottom will keep the fishes inside the net.
Fishing is taken to the next level in Kerala owing to the abundance of fertile breeding grounds and conditions for fishes, prawns, lobsters, crabs, clams and oysters in fresh waters. Just take the fishing rod and dangle the bait and a good catch await you. The Karimeen Fry and fish curry, both marine preparations, will leave you salivating over them with spices added in right quantity for lip-smacking taste.
Country boats are made up of wood like Wild jack tree, Teak etc. Wood is first split into planks of thickness ¾ to 2 inches. These planks are then joined with coir yarn with a coir fibre filling. Oil extracted from sardine fish or Neem or cashew nut shell etc are used to make a protective coating. Big boats are used for transporting goods and travel. Small boats are used for fishing. During boating, visitors can have a close watch of different fishing methods.
Weaving Coconut Leaves
Coconut leaves are weaved by Ladies. Weaved coconut leaves are used for thatching the roof and for fencing . For this, green coconut leaves are first seasoned in brackish water which will increase the life of the weaved leaves.
Backwaters of Kerala are unparalleled in terms of the atmospheric ambience they possess, the richness of exotic flora and fauna, as well as the vividness of the natural views generously sprinkled. While sailing on the backwater is engrossing in itself, you can engage yourself in other pursuits to consummate your tour
- Pick-up and drop off at Cochin / Kochi / Fort Kochi / Port Cruise Terminal
- Private Car For Disposal (Transfers by air-conditioned vehicle)
- English-speaking driver cum guide with cell phone
- 3 hours backwater cruise including activities
- Welcome Drink (Fresh Tender Coconut Water)
- 1 Bottle Mineral Water Per Person
- We can also pick up/drop from/to other nearby locations at extra cost.
- Tips & Personal Expenses
- Available Over Night Stay ( Optional )
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
- Infants (ages 1-4) are free with two paying adults
- A minimum of 2 people per booking is required
- A maximum of 6 people per booking
- At time of booking, Cruise ship passengers must provide the following information at time of booking: ship name, docking time, disembarkation time and re-boarding time
- Refunds will not be issued if tour/activity is missed due to late or non-arrival of cruise ship
- Dress code is smart casual
- Please advise any specific dietary requirements at time of booking
- The lobby of your hotel in Kochi/ Fort Kochi or Cruise Terminal of Kochi Port.
- Rates are indicative and subject to change.
- Confirmation will be received within 5 hours of booking, subject to availability.
- Any expenses that may be incurred over and above the mentioned inclusions will need to be borne by the guests.
- If you cancel at least 7 day(s) in advance of the scheduled departure, there is no cancellation fee.
- If you cancel between 3 and 6 day(s) in advance of the scheduled departure, there is a 50 percent cancellation fee.
- If you cancel within 2 day(s) of the scheduled departure, there is a 100 percent cancellation fee.