Ernakulam Junction Railway Station, also known as Ernakulam South Railway Station, is a major railway station located in Kochi, Kerala, India. It serves as a gateway to the city of Kochi and is one of the busiest railway stations in South India. The station code for Ernakulam Junction is “ERS.”
Key features of Ernakulam Junction Railway Station:
- Location: Ernakulam Junction is situated in the heart of the city of Kochi, making it easily accessible to both residents and tourists.
- Connectivity: It is a major junction connecting various parts of Kerala and neighboring states. Trains from different parts of India, including major cities like Delhi, Mumbai, Chennai, and Bangalore, have regular services to and from this station.
- Facilities: The station offers a range of amenities to passengers, including waiting halls, refreshment stalls, bookshops, ATMs, and retiring rooms for overnight stays. There are also wheelchair accessibility and assistance for differently-abled passengers.
- Platforms: Ernakulam Junction has several platforms to accommodate the large number of trains passing through the station. The platforms are equipped with modern amenities like digital display boards and seating arrangements.
- Divisional Headquarters: The station is a part of the Southern Railway zone and serves as the headquarters of the Thiruvananthapuram Railway Division, which is one of the six divisions of Southern Railway.
- Metro Connectivity: The Kochi Metro has an interchange station, Ernakulam Junction Metro Station, located nearby, providing seamless connectivity between the railway station and different parts of the city.
- Local Transportation: Ernakulam Junction is well-connected to other parts of Kochi through various modes of local transportation, including buses, taxis, and auto-rickshaws. This makes it convenient for passengers to travel to their desired destinations within the city.
Ernakulam Junction Railway Station is an important transportation hub in Kerala, facilitating the movement of passengers and goods across the region.